* Disturbingly plausible notion posited on Brian Campbell’s weekly ESPN Tuesday boxing chat recently — if Victor Ortiz can beat Jr. Middleweight titlist Carlos Molina in his return to the ring in December (a wholly undeserving title shot given his 18 month layoff after back to back losses, his last win coming over Andre Berto in April 2011), then a PPV showdown with, and probable beatdown at the hands of, Canelo Alvarez awaits for sometime in early 2014
I don’t know whether to be disgusted at, or perversely interested in, that fight…
* And if Ortiz could somehow upset Canelo, you can bet your ass we’d see a Mayweather-Ortiz rematch
* Former European Super Bantamweight Champion Willie Casey returns from a 15 month layoff on Saturday’s Frampton-Parodi undercard, facing Marco McCullough.
It will be interesting to see how he looks, but he shouldn’t have much trouble against quite limited opposition
* Another fight on that card is Eamon O’ Kane vs. ex-European Champion Kerry Hope, which could produce the next challenger for top prospect and British/Commonwealth Champion at 160lbs., Billy Joe Saunders
* As great as the prospect of Orlando Salido vs. Vasyl Lomachenko in January is, even greater is the fact that Gary Russell Jr. (undefeated, but untested, longtime prospect, with the fastest hands in the sport) is the mandatory for the winner.
OK, he hasn’t done a single thing to earn that title shot, but Lomachenko vs. Russell Jr. is almost as interesting as the Lomachenko-Rigondeaux fight that Bob Arum is teasing us with the possibility of
* Hands up who else is as pumped as I am for Dereck Chisora vs. Arnold Gjergjaj next month?!
And, before someone asks, I am seriously not being sarcastic! Gotta love the Heavies…
* Rumours of Amir Khan vs. Robert Guerrero…
Interesting matchup, and a pick ’em fight in my view, although I still don’t think that a win over Guerrero would merit a Mayweather shot for Khan, even though that’s probably what it would lead to
* Golden Boy have also just signed hugely inactive 175lbs. titlist Beibut Shumenov, and he will fight on the Broner-Maidana undercard.
Looks like we’ll be seeing a Hopkins-Shumenov unification sometime next year then
* Bernard “The Alien” Hopkins — http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-bernard-hopkins-becomes-an-alien-workout–70685
“People say they don’t believe in aliens, well look at me!…that’s the secret: I’m an alien. [I’m from] Pluto”
Until today —
@JeremyFoley “I realize that Pluto is no longer a planet now, so I’m from Mars.” … these were actual words spoken today.
— David Greisman (@fightingwords2) October 18, 2013
Plus, apparently, he loves Daniel Day-Lewis — “I’m one of the last of the Mohicans. Big Daniel Day-Lewis fan”.
What a hilarious man!