“There was a 5-year-old with brain cancer, about ten years ago, and we got him a swing set with rubber mats so when he fell, from being weak from treatments, he’d be OK,” he said. “And his family invited me for dinner, and I asked ‘What are we having?’ and the kid said, ‘Chocolate chip Haagen-Dazs,’ and so a week later I stop by a deli and bring six pints of chocolate chip Haagen-Dazs to the house, and I go to the house and I see there’s a wake going and he’s dead.
“So maybe not at that moment, maybe two days later, it’s banging away at you a little bit, but you try not to let it stay there,” Atlas said. “I wouldn’t be doing these things if they couldn’t affect me. I keep doing it because it’s there.”